Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Innermost Thoughts of Internet Airheads

The thoughts:

"Alright I'm just going to push out the collarbones a bit. Ype, that should look good. Very Marissa Cooper via The O.C. Okay, now pullllll your stomach back, push the shoulders forward. Are my lips pouty enough? Probably not. Note to self: call Dr. Johnson. My hair is totally covering my eyes right now. I kind of want to move it back, but I probably shouldn't. If the photographer wanted me to move it, he'd tell me to move it."

Thoughts of thinking others thoughts:

To insert thoughts into the minds of others is to project onto them what you want them to be. For example, when I imposed "airhead" thoughts onto the mind of the model, I posited her as a woman who offered only beauty. I mean, of course I don't want that gorgeous girl to be exceptionally brilliant. That'd be disconcerting for me, an ordinary girl, wouldn't it? So there's something to think about-- are our perceptions of other people simply a reflection of our own insecurities? Now to the story...

The Lifted Veil

Eliot writes, "But there is no tyranny more complete than that which a self-centred negative nature exercises over a morbidly sensitive nature perpetually craving sympathy and support" (22). Well yikes. This is overwhelmingly daunting to anyone who might be in search of sympathy and support, for it suggests that this weak state can leave one susceptible to the tyranny of another person. Essentially, this quote reveals the tyrannical manipulation that takes place when two forces--one self-centered and the other arguably self-deprecating--unite. The person who craves "sympathy and support" will inevitably blinded by his own insecurity to recognize that he are being taken advantage of by his seemingly doting lover. Love/attention/support is his drug. Love/attention/support makes him too high to realize his own subjugation.

No comments:

Post a Comment