Friday, February 27, 2009

Dr. Frankenstein and Mr. Monster

Victor Frankenstein and his monster-- are they one in the same person? Does the usage of the word "wretch" lend credence to this possibility?
  • page 43 "how can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom...I had endeavoured to form?"
  • page 44 "...I beheld the wretch -- the miserable monster whom I had created."
  • page 60 "...I was destined to become the most wretched of human beings"
  • page 62 "Alas! I had turned loose into the world a depraved wretch whose delight was in carnage and misery..."
  • page 65 "that made me wretched"
  • page 77, Elizabeth says to Victor, "My dearest friend, you must calm yourself. These events have affected me, God knows how deeply; but I am not so wretched as you are. There is an expression of despair, and sometimes of revenge, in your countenance that makes me tremble. Dear Victor, banish these dark passions."
  • page 83:
    • All men hate the wretched; how, then, must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things! Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou art bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us. You purpose to kill me. How dare you sport thus with life? Do your duty towards me, and I will do mine towards you and the rest of mankind. If you will comply with my conditions, I will leave them and you at peace; but if you refuse, I will glut the maw of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends.
  • page 85 "I have been the miserable origin and author? Cursed be the day, abhorred devil, in which you first saw light! Cursed (although I curse myself) be the hands that formed you! You have made me wretched beyond expression. You have left me no power to consider whether I am just to you or not. Begone! Relieve me from the sight of your detested form."
  • page 165 "Human beings, their feelings and passions, would indeed be degraded if such a wretch as I felt pride. Justine, poor unhappy Justine, was as innocent as I, and she suffered the same charge; she died for it; and I am the cause of this -- I murdered her. William, Justine, and Henry -- they all died by my hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment